Skip to main content

[Rwanda Forum] UK Conservatives planned to spend 10 billion pounds on Rwanda migrant scheme, minister says | Reuters

UK Conservatives planned to spend 10 billion pounds on Rwanda migrant scheme, minister says | Reuters

UK Conservatives planned to spend 10 billion pounds on Rwanda migrant scheme, minister says

Migrants cross the English Channel in small boats
LONDON, July 22 (Reuters) - Britain's new Labour interior minister on Monday accused the previous, Conservative government of concealing the fact that it expected to spend 10 billion pounds ($13 billion) on a now-scrapped plan to deport thousands of asylum seekers to Rwanda.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer's new government scrapped the plan after comfortably winning an election this month.

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper told parliament that taxpayers had already spent 700 million pounds on chartering flights that never took off, payments to the Rwandan government and many hours of civil servants' work, among other things.

She said that since her appointment as home secretary two weeks ago, she had reviewed the "policies, programmes and legislation that we have inherited", adding: "It is the most shocking waste of taxpayers' money that I have ever seen."

The previous Conservative government had announced in 2022 that it would put an end to asylum seekers arriving on small boats by sending those who arrived in Britain without permission to Rwanda.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue

But legal challenges have prevented anyone being sent to east Africa except for four individuals who went under a voluntary scheme.

Parliament's spending watchdog in March estimated it would cost at least 600 million pounds to deport just 300 refugees to Rwanda - a tiny fraction of the more than 15,000 asylum seekers who have arrived on England's southern coast this year alone.

James Cleverly, the former Conservative home secretary, accused Cooper in parliament of using "made-up numbers", but provided no evidence or alternative costings.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Cooper also said tens of thousands of asylum seekers left in limbo and at risk of deportation would now have their claims processed.

She said the government would also reverse a provision in the Illegal Migration Act that has barred anyone arriving illegally since March last year from being granted asylum.

Instead, the government promised to end the costly use of hotels to accommodate asylum seekers, and clear the backlog of claims.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Cooper said the changes would save taxpayers an estimated 7 billion pounds over the next 10 years.

The question of how to stop asylum seekers crossing the Channel from France had been a theme of the election campaign.

While the previous Conservative government said its plan would put people traffickers out of business, critics called it immoral and unworkable.

Last November, the UK Supreme Court declared the policy unlawful, saying Rwanda could not be considered a safe third country, prompting the government to pass another law to enable it to override the court's assessment.

($1 = 0.7746 pounds)

Get the latest news and expert analysis about the state of the global economy with Reuters Econ World. Sign up here.

Reporting by Andrew MacAskill; editing by William James, Sachin Ravikumar and Kevin Liffey

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.


###
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence",
George Washington.
###

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Rwanda Forum] Who is Axel Muganwa Rudakubana, the butcher of Southport, UK?

   If Axel Muganwa Rudakubana had been a son of a Hutu, what would have been the news headlines in Kagame's mouthpiece tabloids? Since Axel Rudakubana's parents are Tutsi genocide survivors, and his father, Alphonse Rudakubana, is a nephew of Wellars Gasamagera, the Secretary General of Rwanda's ruling party - RPF, the tragedy that occurred in the UK has not been mentioned by any tabloids or news outlets in Rwanda. However, had Axel Muganwa Rudakubana been a child of a Hutu, or a child of a Tutsi opposition figure, we can all guess the type of headline that would have appeared in the tabloid controlled by Criminal Paul Kagame. But now, they remain silent on this despicable tragedy. FYI... ICYIHISHE INYUMA Y'UMUSORE W'UMUNYARWANDA WISHE ABANA BATATU MU BWONGEREZA. https://youtu.be/OuPMqdxYrvs?si=vF24-X-nZdIlDcNC ### "Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence", George Washington. ###

[Rwanda Forum] Rwanda-Occident: Scandale politico-sportif.

L'Occident et ses Multinationales recommandent aux autres états africains d'instaurer une dictature à la Paul Kagame du Rwanda qui réussit à organiser un championnat du Monde. Seul un pays sous une dictature implacable et génocidaire d'une clique "d'étrangers" uniquement préoccupée par l'exploitation de la Majorité autochtone à défaut de la réduire par divers moyens ( massacres de messe , génocide, déplacements et nettoyage ethnique...) peut accueillir un tel championnat dans pareilles conditions et le réaliser sans le moindre accroc. Un pays de 14 millions d'habitants dont 75 % vivent en dessous du seuil de la pauvreté et survivent au jour le jour par de petits boulots, où 60 % de jeunes sont au chômage, où 80 % de la population vivent de l'agriculture.., oser décréter sans vergogne que : circulation interdite pour tout véhicule ou matériel roulant sur toutes les routes du pays pendant une semaine, écoles et services publics fermés pe...